Kasuga Mountain Worship
Lush nature and stone Buddhas of the Heian era.
World heritage · Mt. Kasuga Primeval Forest. A 2 hour to 3 hour course for beginners to intermediate people, chosen as a senior group excursion for kindergarten. Be familiar with nature, history and tradition.
【Reliable for Beginners】
* It is a safe course even with children. It have been chosen locally for the kindergarten senior’s excursion.
* We can return to ‘HARUYA Naramachi’ in 2 hours ~ 3 hours on foot.
* Clothes are casual wear and sneakers.
- Introduction of Mt. Kasuga Primeval Forest
In Japanese language, we have two different words, ‘森’ and ‘林’, for “Forest”.
In English, neither is just “Forest”, paying attention to the difference whether there are many or few trees, but in Japanese language, the one to which human hands are added is “林 (Hayashi)”, the one without human hands “森 (Mori)” is called.
Mt. Kasuga Primeval Forest is correctlly Mt. Kasuga Primeval ‘林(hayashi)’. Then, why Mt. Kasuga Primeval Forest is classified for ‘林 (Hayashi)’? Because it is a forest of Kusushi Taisha Shrine, it seems to be good in “森 (Mori)”, but from ancient times it is classified for ‘林 (Hayashi)’.
There is a person named “山守 (Yamamori)” from ancient times in Japan. It is well known that it is actually preferable for mountain ecosystems that “山守 (Yamamori)” moderately modify, thin out and logging.
In recent years, the word “nature conservation” is misunderstood and it is believed that it is better to not touch at all. At the extremes of neglect or pampering, it may be the same with modern day child rearing.
The relationship that we carefully watch, properly eliminate it, and keeps protecting it while be protected by it. Predecessors may have seen the ideal way of people and nature, people who are part of nature, and people there.
To add a little more, in English, when climb a mountain, it said that “conquered” the mountain. They put a flag on the top of the mountain. In Japanese, humbly visit the mountain and walk, trying to return to a pure heart as symbolized by the word “六根清浄 (Rokkonshojyo)”. Besides ‘Trekking’ or ‘hiking’, it is near “Mountain worship” from ancient words.
The Mt. Kasuga Primeval Forest of World Heritage is just right in distance. The slope of the mountain is moderate, even without special equipment, we can walk sneakers and hat in everyday wear.
On the way, you can visit a lot of stone Buddha in fact, more than 900 years ago, from the Nara era to the Heian era. Many are evergreens, we can visit anytime in spring, summer, autumn or winter. Detailed course information on the front desk is available.
- Period: Year-round
- Required time: 120 minutes to 180 minutes
- No application required
- Experience content: Tangible Cultural Properties, Cafe Takabatake Saron (たかばたけ茶論), Shiga Naoya Kyukyo(志賀直哉旧居). National Treasure, Shinyakushiji Temple (新薬師寺). Photo Museum of Nara city (入江泰吉記念 奈良市写真美術館)
- Free of charge
- Model Course of the day 9:00 HARUYA Naramachi → Mt. Kasuga Primeval Forest → Cafe Takabatake Saron (たかばたけ茶論) → Shiga Naoya Kyukyo(志賀直哉旧居) → Shinyakushiji Temple (新薬師寺) → Photo Museum of Nara city (入江泰吉記念 奈良市写真美術館) → 17:00 HARUYA Naramachi
- How to go from “HARUYA Naramachi” to “Mt. Kasuga Primeval Forest”